Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Guilt and Grins - or - Sometimes Cleaning is Catching

It's cool when cleaning and organizing seems to be communicable.  I deep cleaned an organized a cupboard on Sunday.  Dear Son started in on another cupboard on Monday. 

He apologized for it being in the explosion stage when I came home from work.


Doesn't look so bad?  Wait.  There's more.


In celebration of someone else getting on it, I think I'm going to tell the boy that anything can go except one of the castle shaped baking pans.  Oh, and I'll want a picture of the brown casserole on the stool.

Yeah, there's a story about that.  If you don't hear it, it's still in my kitchen.  It may stay because it's a convenient shape for stacking and handy for taking to pot lucks, because of the heavy lid.  It travels well.  If it's filled with little enough to allow you to invert the lid, you can even stack a pie on top of it and the pie will be relatively safe for a long car trip.

As a non-guilt related aside, do you see the fake brick on the wall?  There is real brick under the stove.  And the area to the side, with the fake brick on it?  I checked it out.  Under the fake brick is dry wall.  Under the dry wall is an actual brick chimney.  That amuses me. 

There's even an opening, hidden by a metal decorative plate, for a stovepipe.  I could install a wood burning stove there.  Assuming the chimney's still usable.  I've been told that I might want to put a liner in it first, just to be sure. 

Not that I'm planning to install a wood burning stove any time soon.  But in case of a zombie invasion, I know where I could get ahold of one.  Not that I'm in any shape to outrun zombie hoards, even if I wasn't trying to tote a stove. 

There is an antique store in town that specializes in stoves and other kitchen equipment and wares, though.  I've toured through a few times.  They do have one or two stoves that are only half wood burning.  If I won the lottery, I'd consider it.  Of course, for that I'd have to buy tickets.