Friday, March 29, 2013

Letter from the Illinois Department of Public Health when Dad was born.

I've been holding on to this just because it feels just a little historic and, because of the references to immunization, currently topical as well. 


I assume that Father was born at home, mostly because his youngest sister was.  There's a family story about her birth, but not one about his.

I checked his birth certificate.  There was a space on the form for Street and Number, with a note: "(If birth occurred in hospital or institution, give its name instead of street and number.)"

Unfortunately, in the space for the address, there was a man's name, possibly the doctor's, possibly Dad's.  It was and is a common name.

There are also two other 'birth certificates' for Dad.  One looks like a bought form, to be filled out by whoever bought it.  Both it and the official birth certificate have had my Grandma L's birth date either modified or scratched out.  She never did like anyone knowing how old she was. 

The last certificate was a certificate of registration.  It has much less information and is an official statement of where the birth was registered, so that you can go there for more information if you want to.

Keeping the certificates in a file.  Tossing the letter from the Health Department.  Feeling very little guilt.  Feeling some accomplishment, but that's because I've emptied and sorted another box.  Not feeling total victory because there are more boxes and I only got 2/3 of my desk clear.  I vote to give myself credit for the 2/3, though.  Go, me.