Tuesday, November 22, 2011

1/1/10 Throwing things out and feeling guilty

This is going through old boxes, shelves, and drawers.
I have thrown out: a squeaky Christmas tape, an old pillow, Grandma Lil’s magnifying glass on a snakey metal pedestal, a box of old Toastmasters award plaques, spicy buttery popcorn salt, paper bags, etc. (I added the etc. to give myself permission to stop trying to remember everything I’ve thrown out.)

I’ve also got a bag going for stuff to the Goodwill, including the fake knife in a wooden display box that Kevin gave me years ago for the wall. I say fake because it looks metal but is actually plastic. The point of it is that it looks medieval and he knew that I was playing with the SCA.
There's also a bag for the Shire of Windy Meads. I forget which current shire resident volunteered to take the old banners off of my hands, but I know I didn’t erase the email, so I can find him. I’m pretty sure it was a him. Maybe I can find the sheep banners and pass them on, too.

I’m ditching an old prescription for painkillers and one for antibiotics (I took as many as the
doctor told me to) in an old peanut butter jar. When I asked the hospice how to dispose of Aunt D’s leftover pharmaceuticals after she died, they said to put them into a Ziploc bag with kitty litter and dish soap and throw them into the trash. It was freaky, but I did it. I know they’re not supposed to go down the toilet any more, what with not breaking down at sewage treatment plants and entering waterways.