Tuesday, November 22, 2011

More Old (2010) Guilt - May

(Two old log entries.)  5/15/10

I did a burn today in the back yard.  E tells me they’re illegal, and he may be right.  This burn burns guilt, though, so it's happening.  The back yard has been unusable for years.  Neither K nor I keep up with the dogs.  And the last time the kids went through the stuff stored in the garage, they made a big pile of boxes of discardable stuff.  It’s been here, in the middle of the back yard, weathering and decomposing for more than a year. 

I feel that I should have put my foot down about that.  Also I’m discovering some of my stuff in the boxes as they spill their weakening guts onto the oak leaf and twig litter and the decaying tarps that were spread out to form a sorting area many moons ago.  (Note from November 2011 - the tarps went, too.)

The bible that Great Aunt Ella gave me was mildewed enough to be essentially one thick page.  I burned it.  I don’t feel as guilty about that as about the rubbermaid leftover containers that have recently been exposed. 

And I ought to be angry.  K keeps saying that she can’t work in the yard “because it’s hopeless”.  The oak trees constantly drop leaves and twigs.  Big fucking deal.  That’s like complaining that the grass keeps growing or, in this yard's case, the weeds and foxtails.  The yard was weeds when I bought the house and I’ve never managed to get it seeded in actual grass, although I did buy seed at one point. 

The sprinkler system does not work.  Eric is pushing for concreting over the back.  I’m not really happy with that. 

5/16/10

I could feel guilty about not reading through this list before adding to it – but I’m going to give that a miss.

I went through the closet and brought out some old ¾ inch video masters to be guilty about getting rid of.  And I found some half inch VHS tapes of two Windy Meads Shire Pas d’Armes.  One of them was the memorial to Lance.  I’m trying to decide who to turn those over to and/or who to announce them to.  (I think they went to AJ)

The ¾ tapes are of a Steiff (possibly misspelled) display from the Design Department at UCD years ago.  I don’t have access to any equipment that could edit them, even if I did have the time to edit them and the access to play the results. 

They’re going to go.  Two tapes full of cute stuffed bears and other animals.  Bye bye.