Tuesday, November 22, 2011

February 15, 2010 Monday

(Still from the old log)

I am seeking comments from E and K on “the silverware”.  This is not Mom’s silverware, which is a complete set in a nice box.  This is five pieces of unmatched silver-plate that Aunt D was storing, all wrapped up in a drawer.  I have no idea if any of it ever belonged to anyone.  If it used to be Grandma L’s, then Uncle L would have taken it up to Aunt D to look after.  I’m going to have to decide whether to use any of it or to keep any of it. 

They are the following (with markings):

A scalloped large serving spoon with scrolling where the bowl attaches to the stem, and raised dots along the outside of the stem. (Rockford S.P.C 0.5  then a star – small enough that I had to get E to read it – and he had to take off his glasses).  The silver plate has worn off of the ridges in the scallops and gouges in the bowl.

A scratched and stained butter knife (Tudor plate Oneida Community).

A slotted, scalloped, scrolled small spoon (sugar spoon?) National double tested Silverplate.  

A matching spoon and fork serving set, with no decoration except on the stem ((eagle?) Wm Rogers (star), with an I S separately).  They are scratched, stained and may have worn through the plate in places. 

Eric just shakes his head and has no comment.  He says he doesn’t care about it. 

Katie says that I should clean them before I make any decisions.  Her Mom has a bang-up method of cleaning them without scrubbing.  (Looking back from November 2011, I suspect that they got put in the basement for storage.)