Wednesday, November 23, 2011

People wrote each other poems in the 40s, too

Aunt D included this one, written on a separate sheet, in a letter that she wrote to Grandma.  This is probably while Grandma was in the sanitorium for TB and her children were staying with relatives. 

Parted

(1)

Mom,
     Dear Mom

I never thought I'd see the day
Whe, from you, I'd be whisked away
Ans when I was eight or nine years old,
I'd have laughed if I'd been told
I was to go away from you
Ans all my friends and family, too.

(2)

But do not weep, lament or cry,
For someday very soon
We'll be together you and I
And all our family too
And though there are worlds between us
You'll always be in my heart
And this will always be true
No matter how far we're apart.

Original poem by
DH

My best guess is that she was about thirteen when she wrote this, maybe a bit older.  I haven't memorized how many years younger than Dad she was.